Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Book review Dale Carnegie: How to win friends and influence people

I have recently completed this book. It was touted as one of the best books by Warren Buffett himself. So I decide to do a review of the lessons taught within the book. To summarize the essence of the book, I realized that even though the book gives you ten or twenty steps and guides to follow to ensure good human relations and communications, but the mere fact that the author advocates that it is the way of thinking that most influence the success in the lessons taught. For example, one has to constantly keep in mind the other person opinions and viewpoints; and also to offer endless praise to others. As I repeat what I have mentioned above again, this book, though it has given readers some guides to achieve better communication with others, the central theme lies in to always put others before yourself, thereby humbling yourself and praising others.

Let’s just share a little discovery I made at the end of book. Currently I am on a stopover in Milwaukie on my way back to Atlanta. Dale had also spent some time in Omaha, Nebraska. He had no money then, I had not much money with me either as I am waiting to build my personal wealth. I am definitely not old, but I am not that young either…. Anyway, back to my point, I feel that Dale and Warren do not need to live in the city to succeed. They are able to do as well as their counterparts in the city. Why is that? It is not my incentive to argue that the country side or suburban areas are better than others, for the chances of another Dale or Warren is so minimal; we (those who lives in the city) are merely increasing our chances of probability of success. However, that similarity struck me and I would certainly like to find the reason why… Additionally, I realize that I do not have much drive to do things like reblogging again and to finish this book when I am back in my normal routine of life. I realize that this is also similar to the city and suburban analogy. Living in the city (in our daily normal routine) will seek to increase our chances of success but going on a retreat to Omaha (living in the country side) give us a fresh perspective on our current situation and life. 

No comments: