Thursday, December 16, 2010

What happens when the world turn against you

Many would comment on the title of this blog post. Am I still blogging about personal finance, and how is this related? This post, I agree, somehow be different from what I usually blog about. Therefore, if it interest you no further from here, I humbly recommend that you read no further.

Some background
I was on my way back to Atlanta, after visiting my friend in Montreal for a week or so. On my way to catch the flight back to Atlanta, I followed Google Maps direction to the airport. Altogether there are 8 waypoints, and to the 7th waypoint it mistakenly route me to a place in which I couldn't get to the airport. Practicing conservatism, I was determine to reach the airport an hour early, knowing that customs will take long to clear. However, due to the 7th waypoint error, I was stranded and only have an hour to catch the plane. I reached the airport eventually 10 mins before the plane departure, knowing that I have yet to check in, the staff at the ticket counter said that the plane would have departed by then.

The feelings that is going through my mind
Yes, as usual, I started thinking of alternative solutions that could get me out of this predicament. I know that changing the flight will definitely cost some money to change the plane ticket, but the problem is that I am almost cashless and without a credit card to pay for the fees. Being almost cashless also means that I am unable to take the taxi back to my friend's apartment and get him to house me one more night. The feeling ain't pleasant. Along the way, there are many kind souls whom took pity on me and help me in one way or another.

The kind employee
I met her in the bus and heard her communicating in english. I approached her and told her my situation, and she is very friendly. I dashed off in a hurry without having an opportunity to thank her. But if she does read this, I hope that she can drop me an email.

The kind taxi driver
With a lack of a better word, he is simply amazing. It is really rare to meet people who are like him. As he knew of my situation, he told me that he will try to make it in the airport on time for me. I felt bad by telling him a time earlier than the actual flight, and so he took another route that might avoid the rush hour. Yes, I must say that things started going for the worse when I am smacked right in the rush hour. For eg. a 15min journey would take at least 30mins and when I took the direction of the mistaken waypoint, I know that my chances of catching the airplane is really low. He said that he is reluctant to take me because he will be stuck in the jam on the way back. Indeed I felt bad when on one hand, he is doing his best to help me, but it is to his detriment. I know I wouldn't meet him again, probably ever in my life... I gave him a generous tip and hope he have a safe journey back home.

Last of all, the kind airline staff
This is one big obstacle. I had to change my flight timing, but I am without cash or credit card. She eventually changed my flight and no charge. I appreciate that.


Things I should have done better
Time management

I should have allocated more time and not procrastinate especially for important events. The more critical the event, the more time should be allocated to prepare for the event. Do not ever procrastinate knowing that you had things under control

Contingencies

Especially for mission critical events, at least one contingency should be planned for. What if the planned route fails, any backup that you can rely on? Contingencies should not be neglected. Many times, contingencies are haphazard and badly planned. I think if I had a proper plan, such as checking to see how make it here when I first arrive at this airport, this may not have happen

Credit Cards
An essential I must say, after this episode and long trip away from home, credit cards are the most flexible financial instrument to be inside one's personal finance.




Budgets are meant to take contingencies in mind
I have a planned budget on what I would spend on in Montreal. However, I have never thought of leaving the city with any money left on me. That said, budgets should have a buffer range, I would say at least enough to cover the basics, i.e. for my own finances, I think a buffer of 20% (arbitrary set) of my expenses for a month is good.

No comments: